In this article, you will find out how to set up Google Analytics Universal for your Shopgate mobile shop.
1. What is Google Analytics Universal?
Google Analytics Universal, also commonly referred to as Universal Analytics, is a tracking tool which allows you to monitor traffic and traffic sources of your Shopgate mobile shop. By setting up Google Analytics Universal at Shopgate, you can track customer visits, bounce rates, conversion rates, and more on your Shopgate apps and mobile website.
2. Preparing your Analytics account
2.1 Creating properties for your apps and mobile website
To get started, please follow the steps here to set up 2 properties. Why do I need to set up 2 properties?
- Log into your Google Analytics Universal account and navigate to Admin.
- Select your account. If you don't already have one, click the drop-down under ACCOUNT and click "Create new account".
- Now create a unique property for your mobile website, if you don't already have one. Click the drop-down under PROPERTY, and click "Create new property".
- In the next screen, create one property for your app and another one for your mobile website. When finished, click "Get Tracking ID".
Create 2 properties Details
Track mobile app
Enter the following information:
- Select Website (Why should I select "Website" to track my app?)
- Enter a Website Name
- Enter the URL http://shopgate.com (IMPORTANT: this is the same for ALL Shopgate mobile shops)
Track mobile website
Enter the following information:
- Select Website
- Enter a Website Name
- Enter your shop's mobile URL (e.g. m.myawesomeshop.com, or myawesomeshop.shopgate.com)
That's it! Now you have successfully set up 2 properties (Why do I need to set up 2 properties?) to use with your Shopgate Google Analytics Universal tracking.
2.2 Setting up eCommerce tracking
Your mobile eCommerce data is tracked as long as eCommerce reporting is enabled.
To do so, please follow the steps here:
For more support, please read Google's help article "Set up eCommerce tracking"
2.3 Configuring a sales conversion funnel
Want to know how many customers actually go through the steps and click the BUY button? Set up a sales funnel and reveal the mystery!
To do so, follow the steps here:
① Goal setup
Select a Template and click Continue.
② Goal description
Give your goal a name and select Destination as the type.
③ Goal details
Enter a Destination, turn on Funnel, and enter the steps.
See details in the table below.
|Destination||Your checkout success / thank you page. Choose "Begins with" and enter /checkout_success|
|Funnel||Turn to ON|
|Required?||Leave to NO|
That's it! Now you have set up a "sales funnel" in your Google Analytics.
3. Setting up Google Analytics Universal at Shopgate
Now that you have configured your Google Analytics account, it's time to enter the Google Analytics code(s) in your Shopgate admin. Here are the steps:
- Log in to your Shopgate Admin page. Click on Settings from the menu bar, then select Tracking Tools.
- Locate the Google Analytics Universal section and turn it to ON.
- A pop-up will open. Select a platform from the drop-down, paste the Google Analytics Universal Code, and click Save.
- Repeat the steps above until all properties have been added.
That's it! You have successfully set up your Google Analytics Universal tracking in your mobile shop.
4. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
4.1 Google Analytics or Google Analytics Universal?
According to Google: "Universal Analytics is the new operating standard for Google Analytics. All accounts will soon be required to use Universal Analytics."
To get an overview of Google Analytics Universal, please read Google's knowledge base Set up Universal Analytics: An overview.
4.2 Can I use the same property for desktop and mobile websites?
No. Your Shopgate mobile website uses a different URL structure than your desktop website. Therefore, your desktop Analytics code will track incorrect information if used to track your mobile website.
To get correct tracking information, please use a separate property for your Shopgate mobile website.
4.3 Should I use separate properties for apps and mobile website?
Yes. We recommend using separate properties for different platforms.
As a good practice, use at least one property for your mobile website and another for your apps.
If you need to track more precisely, we also provide the following options. Note that your iOS and Android apps need to have at least version 5.0 to use on Google Analytics Universal.
To get a better understanding of the Analytics account structure, please read Google's help article "The hierarchy of accounts, users, properties, and views"
4.4 Why are my app activities not tracked correctly?
It's possible that Tracking Method or Website URL for your Shopgate app is set up incorrectly.
- Please make sure that your apps are tracked as "Website" (see screenshot below). Why should I select "Website" to track my app?
- Please make sure that your "Website URL" is entered EXACTLY like this: shopgate.com/
Please note that the Shopgate Google Analytics Universal tracks apps with versions 5.0 and up. If you are using an older version of the app, and you wish to track your app activities, please contact your Shopgate support to request an app update.
4.5 Why should I select "Website" to track my app?
Please make sure to select Website as your app's tracking target, because your Shopgate apps use the same tracking method as the Google Analytics Universal Website tracking.
4.6 What are the Screen/Page names for my mobile shop?
Below you will find the Screen/Page names you need for Google Analytics. These are the screen names on your app as well as the page URLs on your mobile website.
|Screen / Page||Old Name||New Name (Starting March 8, 2017)|
|Terms & Conditions||webapp/shop_terms||page/terms|
|User Change Language||webapp/user_language||user_change_language|
|User Forgot Password||webapp/lost_password||user_lost_password|
Provides a form to review user registration data after a Shopgate Connect login attempt.
Connects a user with external service providers.
Registers a user that is connected with external login providers.
Handles the merge of an existing local account with an external or Shopgate account.
|Checkout Success Page||webapp/checkout_success||checkout_success|
|Payment Success Page||webapp/checkout_success||checkout_success|
|"Item not found" Page||webapp/error_item_not_found||item_not_found|
|User Change Payment Method||webapp/select_payment||user_change_payment_method|
|User Change Address||webapp/select_address||user_change_address|
|Payment Information Page||webapp/payment_info||payment_info|