Sending push notifications is fast and easy on your Shopgate apps!
In this article, you will find out how to create and send a push notification to your mobile customers.
1. Getting started
1.1 What is a push notification?
A push notification is a form of notification generated by a mobile app, while the app is not actively in use. Push notifications commonly appear as pop-up dialogs, banners or small badges on the app icon, according to the user's settings.
On the Shopgate app, push notifications are used for marketing and communication purposes. When correctly set up, your customers will get timely information on special offers, discounts, new products, and much more.
1.2 Which page can a push notification open?
At the moment, a push notification can open 5 different kinds of pages:
|Product||The details page of the product you selected opens.|
|Category||The category page you selected opens.|
|Page||The app page you selected opens. This can be the homepage, cart page, or any page you created.|
|Coupon||The cart opens. A coupon code you selected will be added to the cart.|
|Search Query||The search page with the pre-defined results opens.|
2. Sending/Scheduling a push notification
Creating a new notification
Follow the steps below to find the push notification page at Shopgate.
- Log into your Shopgate Admin.
- Navigate to Marketing → Push Messages. Here you will see a list of your push notifications.
- Click + Create new to create a new push notification.
Click Action → Edit to the right of an existing push notification to make changes.
- A pop-up window will open. Configure your push notifications here. Best practices about push notifications
Configuring the notification
In this table, we will explain the options for your push notification.
|Audience||Specify who will receive this push notification.|
|All users||Use this option to send push notification to everyone who has installed your app and allowed the app to receive push notifications.|
|Specific users||Use this option to send a notification to specific users or to test your push notification.|
|Segments||Send a push notification to a segment of users. Here is how to create a user segment.|
Set a time to send the push notification. This function is not available for sending to "specific users".
Specify what should the push notification do when opened by a user. These destinations are available.
Enter the content of your push notification here. Limited to 155 characters per notification. Learn how to insert emojis in your push notifications.
3. Testing your push notification
Testing your push notifications before sending them out to the customers is always a good idea.
Anyone with a valid customer account can be a test user. You can send your test push notifications to multiple users at a time.
A few things to keep in mind when testing a push notification:
- Test users must first install your mobile app on their smartphone or tablet.
- Test users must log into the app to receive push notifications.
- Test users must select "Agree" in the app when asked to receive push notifications.
- The test email address must be registered in your mobile app as a customer account.
- Notifications will be sent immediately - you can't schedule a test notification.
To test a push notification, follow the steps below:
- Ask your test user to install your live app onto a smartphone or tablet.
- Ask your test user to log in or register an account with your app.
- In your Shopgate Admin, create a new push notification (Marketing → Push Messages → +Create new). Select Specific users. Enter the email address of your test user's app account email (one email per line) in the text field below.
- Click Save to complete the process and return to the push notifications list.
This completes a test notification.
4. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
4.1 How to use emojis in a push notification
All emojis are now supported in the Shopgate push notifications.
To insert an emoji in a push notification,
- Go to Marketing → Push Messages → +Create new in your Shopgate Admin.
- Visit an emoji website such as https://emojikeyboard.org/ or http://emojipedia.org/ and copy the emoji you want to use.
- Paste it in the "Message" field.
Mac users can also bring up the emoji window by using the keyboard shortcut "ctrl + cmd + space" and click on an emoji to insert it.
4.2 Why do I see more opens of a push notification on Android?
Due to the different usability of push notifications, studies have shown that on average the open rate on Android is 3 times higher than that on iOS. Read this article for more information.
4.3 Best practices about push notifications
The most important thing about the push notification is the length – keep it short and simple! Depending on the device, your users only see a certain amount of characters when your push notification pops up. iOS users see around 120 characters while Android devices only show about 40 characters (without being expanded). Try to place the most important keywords at the beginning and shorten the notification to one line. Don't forget to use emojis!
Only send a push notification when there is something your users can act upon, be it a coupon, a sales event, or an abandoned cart that needs to be completed.