This article is for you if you are a sole proprietorship or a single person company. If your company is a Corporation (Corp., Inc.), Limited Liability Company (LLC, LC, Ltd. Co.), or a legal entity (GmbH, AG, KG, oHg, etc.), please refer to this article instead.
Follow the entire process outlined below very closely. An incomplete setup could result in the removal of your app from the App Store. If you want to print this article as a hard copy you can make notes on, feel free to download the PDF version here.
A membership in the Apple Developer Program is mandatory to distribute an iOS app on the App Store. This means that all merchants who wish to publish an iOS app are required to enroll in the Apple Developer program. In addition, your iOS app must be published under your name (that is, your own Apple Developer account).
In this article, we will walk you through the process to enroll in the Apple Developer Program as a single-person business and transfer your existing iOS app to your Apple Developer account.
Create an Apple ID
Use an existing email address associated with your company to create an Apple ID. We recommend using an email address that multiple people in the company can access, such as your support or info email. If you don't have a company email address, please create one first.
- Go to Create Your Apple ID, following the instructions below when this page opens.
- Enter your company email in the form and fill out the rest.
This email will be your new Apple ID. Apple will send important actions or decisions regarding your app to this email. Please make sure to check the emails regularly.
- A 6-digit verification code is sent to you via email. Enter the code in the popup that opens.
This code will expire three hours after the email was sent.
- Your Apple ID is created.
Please be aware that creating an Apple ID is NOT the same as creating an Apple Developer account.
- Turn off two-factor authentication by signing in to your Apple ID account, clicking Edit in the Security section, then clicking Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication. After you create new security questions and verify your date of birth, two-factor authentication will be turned off. Is it necessary to turn off two-factor authentication?
Enroll in the Program
Once your Apple ID is created, open the Apple Developer Program Enrollment page.
- Click Start Your Enrollment and sign in with your new Apple ID.
- Read and agree to the Apple Developer Agreement. Click Submit.
- Now your Apple Developer Program will open. Select Join the Apple Developer Program on the Welcome page and click Enroll on the next page.
- In the field "I develop apps as," select Individual / Sole Proprietor / Single Person Business as your Entity Type. Click Continue.
- Enter your legal name, phone number, and address on the next screen and click Continue.
Your legal name will be displayed as your app's seller in the App Store.
- Accept the Apple Developer Program License Agreement by checking the box on the bottom of the page and clicking Continue.
- On the next screen, review your purchase details and select Automatic Renewal.
If Automatic Renewal is not used, please set a reminder on your calendar (repeat yearly) to renew your membership every year. Your app will be removed from the App Store within 24 hours upon the expiration of your membership.
- You will now be forwarded to the App Store. Login again with the same Apple ID and password.
- On the next screen, pay $99 with your credit card and click Continue.
- Accept the Terms & Conditions and click Continue. Follow the onscreen instructions until you see the "Thank you" page.
Now you have enrolled successfully in the Apple Developer Program. You will receive two welcome emails and a payment confirmation from Apple at your Apple ID email address within an hour or so.
Set up at Shopgate
Your Shopgate App team works hard to create and update your app. In order for our team members to do their jobs, please enter the information for your Apple Developer account at Shopgate.
- Log into your Shopgate Admin.
- Navigate to Settings → Native Apps → Apple Developer Account.
- Select Individual / Sole Proprietor / Single Person Business and click Continue.
- Enter your Apple ID and Password, then Confirm Setup.
That's it! Now you have finished setting up your Apple Developer account! We will transfer your iOS app within the next few days. You will get an email confirmation from Apple once this process is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I enroll as an individual or organization?
If your company is a corporation (Corp., Inc.), limited liability company (LLC, LC, Ltd. Co.), or a legal entity (GmbH, AG, KG, oHg, etc.), you must enroll as an organization or your app will be rejected.
If you are a sole proprietorship or a single person company, you must enroll as an individual.
Is it necessary to turn off two-factor authentication?
We strongly recommend turning off "two-factor authentication" (and its older version called "two-step verification") for this Apple ID. When "two-factor authentication" is on, Shopgate will have to call you immediately every time we try to upload your app, create the necessary certificates, make changes, and update your app.
If you are not available within the short period of time your 6-digit verification code is valid, we will not be able to do anything.
For some accounts created in iOS 10.3 or macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and later, you might not see the option to turn off two-factor authentication on your Apple ID account page. If this is the case, contact us at email@example.com.
Can I enroll as an individual and have my company appear as the seller on the App Store?
No. To have your company name appear as the seller, you must enroll as an organization and your company must be recognized as a legal entity. If you are a sole proprietor/single person business, you must join as an individual and your legal name will appear as the seller.
If you have enrolled as an individual by mistake and need to convert your individual membership to an organizational membership, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How does the enrollment work?
Individuals and sole proprietors/single person businesses can review the license agreement and purchase a membership at the time of enrollment.
When enrolling as an organization, you can review the license agreement and purchase a membership after Apple Developer Support has verified your enrollment and sent you an email with the next steps. You can check your enrollment status in your Apple Developer Program. Be sure to sign in with the Apple ID you used to enroll.
How much does a membership cost?
The Apple Developer Program membership is $99 per membership year in the United States and 99€ in Europe. This cost is the same for an individual membership and an organizational membership.
To provide a long-standing app, you must renew and pay for your membership every year.